YOU NEED TO USE ANY SAFETY
EQUIPMENT WHEN TESTING GOLD WITH ACIDS?
BUY NOW: CLICK ON A PICTURE
The following is my personal (and expert) opinion.
It has been traditional for many many years, for jewellers to show that they are real jewellers, by showing how badly burnt their fingers are, all the time, stained yellow as if from heavy smoking.
Whilst tiny drops of acid only burn the surface of the skin and cause no other harm (it doesn't go through to the blood) and the skin does grow back if left to recover - it is not necessary to burn yourself!
So please do buy some of these acid-proof gloves. These are special acid-proof gloves, they are not the type of gloves you use in the kitchen. And they only cost a few pennies each. We sell these.
I can't actually see how it's possible to splash acid from one of our plastic bottles with a dropper. But I have seen a security video of someone dropping an open glass bottle and splashing acid in their face. Safety goggles / glasses were essential in the days before testing sets were available, jewellers would mix acids in a flask fixed with a bung, and with fine capillary tubing coming out of the bung, and if the tubing was 'flicked' into the air it was possible to for a spot of acid to fly into someone's eye. My personal opinion is that eye protection is not necessary if you are using our plastic bottles with the dropper; also, it is not possible to splash acid from a glass bottle if you follow the safety precautions. The same applies to full-face face protector (visor), £19.50 - if you don't need goggles / glasses, then you don't need a full-face protector. But if it makes you feel secure, then feel free to buy, we do have them in stock and will happily take your money.
When you read, in the official COSHH safety data sheets, that protective clothing and a respirator should be worn, they are referring to an accident caused by a road tanker spilling its load of acid, not to handling a teaspoon-full. The precautions you take must be relative to the risk. Here in the laboratory we have some respirators with special anti-acid filters (a dust mask will not work!) which cost us £150.00 each. We have never worn them, they are just in case we have a major accident involving several litres of acid, we do not sell them, you will never need a respirator when testing gold, not even if you spill the entire bottle of testing-acid.
PRECAUTIONS. A standard warning is, "Keep the chemicals
away from combustible materials".
QUICKTEST, Watford, WD18 8PH, Tel. 01923 220206, email info(at)quicktest.co.uk